University of Victoria

Blog Post #3

How diverse is your existing PLN?

My current PLN is pretty diverse. It has allowed me to have a better understanding of issues that are happening all over the world, by connecting through social media. A diverse PLN allows me to see and learn about more than just what is happening in my city or country, but across the world. For example, an issue in today’s society that for years has gotten swept under a rug, is the Every Child Matters movement. With the recent findings, it has outraged people, causing more and more attention to the issue. With the help of social media bringing so much light to the issue, it has created so much more awareness. And although nothing can make up for the trauma that Residential Schools has caused, it has sparked more conversation and has given everyone the chance to reflect on Canada’s past. 

In your PLN, are you learning from a variety of voices or are you the loudest in the room?

My opinions and values are somewhat reflected by my PLN. I have strong opinions about certain subjects I am passionate about, but I typically tend not to openly share them very often, at least through my PLN. I am definitely not the loudest voice in the room. I prefer to learn about other people’s perspectives and beliefs, and take into account those opinions compared to my opinions. I think it’s important to listen to all different perspectives, which is helpful to gain new insights. 

Do you participate in a silo of information sharing (similar themes or wide-range of interests?)

I use my PLN in various different ways, discussing and sharing information with people of common interests. Through the heat of Covid-19 last year when everything was online, it shifted the way we do share information and opinions. The entire education community was forced to find new ways to discuss and share ideas. In particular I joined class groups online, with people of similar interest, to help one another learn and broaden perspectives.

How can you use a diverse PLN to broaden your views of inclusion?

One way I am currently broadening my views on inclusion is through this class. Before I never really had learned much about it. After reading a brief part of Shelley Moore and Leyton Schnellert’s book, One Without the Other: Stories of Unity Through Diversity and Inclusion (2016), it gave me a greater understanding of what inclusion really is. The diagrams of inclusion she included, attached below, which a student of hers ended up challenging for not actually being inclusion, gave me a better perspective of what real inclusion means. It challenged traditional education that focused on students weaknesses first, rather than focusing on what strength each student brings. 

What is the learning outcome of your PLN and how are you ensuring your exposure to diversity and inclusion

This week I have learned the importance of inclusion and diversity in the learning environment. A goal for my PLN is to do my best effort at making sure true inclusion is welcome, and diversity is encouraged. In order to have a successful learning community, diversity is necessary. Not only including everyone, but treating everyone as equals. By focusing on what each individual brings as a strength, as opposed to focusing on everyone’s faults, everyone will be free to share their perspectives in a non-judgement environment. 

How has your thinking about inclusion and PLN evolved after reviewing the videos and readings?

After reviewing the readings and the video, my understanding of inclusion and diversity in the learning environment has greatly increased. Before, I though inclusion was the act of ensuring all parties feel equally involved, kind of like the first image of inclusion Shelley described in her book, attached below (Moore & Schellert, 2016). Though, through better understanding of the idea, inclusion is not a bunch of wavy dots with a few stripped dots thrown in there. Inclusion is acknowledging that each and every student has something unique they contribute. The key is to value the diversity, not abolish it.

Shelley’s original inclusion diagram
Shelley’s revised, accurate inclusion diagram

Moore, S., & Schnellert, L. (2016). One without the other: Stories of unity through diversity and inclusion. Portage & Main Press. 

1. alisonneale

Hi Julia,

I can relate to the fact that you have strong opinions but typically lean towards listening instead of sharing. I sometimes think I have good ideas but get nervous to share my thoughts because I don’t want to be judged and think I have the wrong idea. That’s why it’s important to feel comfortable in your PLN so you feel ok interacting with your group and sharing your unique opinions that could provide a solution for unanswered questions.

2. 邦妮

Hi Julia,
    I agree with your views on the second and fourth questions. First of all, I am not a person who often shares my own opinions. I am more inclined to listen to and learn from the opinions of others. Secondly, it is important to observe the weaknesses of a student as you explained. I think everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. We need to start from the students’ weaknesses so that students can make greater progress.

3. yifeiwang

Hello Julia,
    As you said at the beginning of the post, social media helps bring attention to key issues in the current society. Social media plays a role in politics as well such as the Twitter-driven campaign of Donald Trump. While we acquire knowledge and exchange views on social media, the fidelity of the claims also needs careful consideration. (Additional reading on a statistic of Americans who mainly get News on social media: https://www.pewresearch.org/journalism/2020/07/30/americans-who-mainly-get-their-news-on-social-media-are-less-engaged-less-knowledgeable/).
    Cheers,
    Anna

4. marissawaddell

Hi Julia,

Thank you so much for this post, I really appreciated how you considered the impact Covid-19 had on information sharing. In the midst of all the isolation, online communication was all that many of us had. Its important to acknowledge what an important time that was for social media and the change it had, and I love that you recognized that in your post.

Marissa

5. soleilb

Hey Julia,

I appreciate your perspective on inclusion and diversity! I think you expressed a comprehensive approach to the topics this week. It is true that inclusion is so important for the development of a PLN because it allows you to stay updated with important knowledge. Furthermore, diversity is necessary for platforms intended to learn and teach from. These ideas were conveyed really well in your blog post.

6. Lawrence He

I really like how you explained your existing PLN and inclusion with the latest hot topic, Every Child Matters. Moreover, the COVID-19 did change the way people interacting with others. Online communication develops rapidly, and it has become the most effective channel of communication at the moment.