University of Victoria

Blog Post #7- Community Engagement in Public Communications

What are the benefits of a diverse and inclusive PLN in social media sharing that understands where you are coming from with messaging that impacts the community?

I think being a part of an understanding, diverse and inclusive PLN in social media creates a safe space for people to openly share opinions and concerns. A no judgement zone where everyone is welcome to be their unique selves and not feel ashamed about it. I am a part of a group on Facebook for my community where people post questions, comments, ask for advice, meet friends, and share opinions. It is a no-bullying group and the admins of the group do monitor it to insure it stays a safe place. I think this group positively impacts members in it of the community and enables them to freely share and ask questions which is something that should be more common in communities today. 

Consider the audiences and how we adapt our messaging accordingly.

We adapt our messages we post according to the intention of the audience and the message itself. If it is a message intended for professional use to engage with your work community or profession, one would pick their responses appropriately in a professional manner. If the message is intended for educational purposes, perhaps posting in a Facebook page with all of your grad class in it asking a question about a certain course u may choose to take, your wording would be slightly more relaxed than in a professional setting. 

Research our guest and see how they leveraged their network into a campaign. Reflect in your blog of this effort.

After Researching Markiel Simpson, I learned a little about his history and his story of what made him decide to create his campaign. A hard-working athlete all his life, political science degree holder, turned Canadian Black community activist striving to break down systematic racism. It all started with a conversation Markiel had with his younger sister about a racist incident that happened in school. It sparked his curiosity of wondering why Canadian Black history isn’t in the K-12 curriculum. He started networking with Black academics and activists in the community in order to create a change. Markiel also became the co-director of diversity for the NDP. Through research and networking, Mr. Simpson was able to spark conversation and start a change in Canadian curriculum to better educate today’s youth. 

Resources:

About. Markiel Simpson. (n.d.). Retrieved November 2, 2021, from https://www.markielsimpson.ca/about. 

Hager, M. (2020, November 12). Stepping up: How a young B.C. Man pushed the province to recognize its long and vibrant black history. The Globe and Mail. Retrieved November 2, 2021, from https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-stepping-up-young-bc-man-pushes-province-to-recognize-its-long-and/. 

Markiel Simpson. Columbia Institute. (2021, March 27). Retrieved November 2, 2021, from https://columbiainstitute.eco/speaker/markiel-simpson/. 

Miller & Simpson. (2021, June 1). Jesse Miller: EDCI – 338 MARKIEL SIMPSON [Video]. Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsoDHGaXNNs&feature=youtu.be.

1. soleilb

Hi Julia,
    I appreciate your response to this blog post. Your research on Simpson is thorough and I think the summary of your findings is succinct and relevant to the topic this week. I am also in a few FB groups where admins have a no-bullying policy, and they are there to ensure healthy collaboration among group members. I think this is a great example of how PLN’s interact with the community for the greater good of members.

2. abrucks

Hi Julia,

It’s really cool how you make note of facebook groups being a space where individuals can interact with their community in a safe no-judgment zone! Groups like these are a great way to find answers, support and help others.